Country Kitchen Decorating Tips
Read country kitchen decorating hints and tips.
Learn how to get an authentic and stylish look.
Discover ideal country kitchen colors, fittings and accessories.
Do you want to re-create a country kitchen in your home?
A country kitchen feels warm, welcoming and relaxing...
...and you don't actually have to live in the country to make this look work in your kitchen.
A country kitchen will look good in a rural or town house, and in a modern or traditional home.
Country kitchen decorating will never date - and so is an excellent choice for any kitchen.
Choosing your units...
- Wooden kitchen units are an absolute essential for any country kitchen worth its salt.
- Although it still gives a fantastic country look and traditional feel, don't feel you have to stick to honey pine.
Orange varnished pine is becoming an outdated look now - there are many other stylish and creative ways to get a country kitchen feel...!
- Natural wood is a good choice for kitchen units - beech or oak are great alternatives to old-fashioned pine.
- Old or new wooden cupboard doors can be painted to give a great country kitchen feel.
White or cream are the top color choices, and very versatile.
Or go for a whole range of pastel and muted colors - blue, green, lemon or grey.
We have just painted out kitchen cupboards in a soft pale green-grey (called 'French Grey' by Farrow and Ball)
See how we got the look here...
- Choose units and cupboard doors with plenty of decorative detailing.
Or, if you prefer a simpler look, choose a shaker style kitchen cupboard.
- Choose glass fronted doors for some cabinets - with or without leaded glass.
A modern green kitchen gets the contemporary country kitchen decorating look - add open shelving and a few rustic touches to get the look
- Door and drawer handles can be as decorative as you choose for a typical country kitchen feel.
Delicate wrought iron handles are common in country kitchens. Or choose a more simple rounded wooden knob.
- Plinths and cornices will enhance your country kitchen decorating scheme. Go as intricate and decorative as you like.
- Think natural when it comes to counter tops. Natural stone or granite are good choices, as is a wooden butcher's block work surface.
If you have chosen unpainted wooden cupboard doors, don't choose a wooden counter top too - some contrast is always good.
Floor, Tiles, Fixtures, Fittings...
- Use terracotta or quarry tiles, slate tiles, stone or wooden floorboards, on the kitchen floor.
- A neutral tile is always a good choice in a country kitchen decorating scheme.
Also consider stone effect tiles, or period-style glossy rectangular tiles arranged in a brick pattern.
- A good country kitchen alternative to tiles is painted tongue-and-groove wood paneling. It gives an excellent traditional country kitchen feel.
We have just fitted some in our kitchen and painted it white. It is chair rail height so we can still paint our walls a color.
- Fit a butler's sink if possible (make sure you have a suitable base unit.) You may be able to find a butler's sink quite cheaply at a reclamation yard.
If you can't find a butler's sink, a traditional white ceramic sink is just as good.
- Fit old-fashioned style taps to get the most authentic country feel.
- Consider fitting an Aga or Rayburn stove in your country kitchen.
I guarantee it will keep you cozy all winter long. There are now some very good, modern, look-a-like alternatives, which can be fitted to gas or electric, that you can consider instead.
You may be able to get a second hand, restored one quite cheaply.
A traditional stove like this would be a fantastic feature for a country kitchen decorating scheme.
Furniture and Accessories
Country Kitchen Bargains
The easiest way of getting the country kitchen decorating look is with your accessories.
Even a very modern kitchen can be 'rescued' and 'countryfied' by adding a few select country-style accessories.
You don't need to go mad - but add enough that your theme is clear - and for that slightly 'busy' or 'cluttered' look that reigns supreme in genuine farmhouse kitchens everywhere...
Good luck - hope you find a country kitchen bargain!
This is a live feed from eBay and is constantly updated.
Just click on any product for more information, or to bid or buy.
If any of the eBay products featured above interest you, please support my website by using the links on this page to buy.
The price to you is always the same, but I will earn a small commission.
This allows me to continue to provide you with the information on this website, all for free.
Thanks for your continued support :)
Country Kitchen Video Inspiration
Take a look at this video clip which I am sure will give you plenty of inspiration for your country kitchen.
Just click on the picture to start the video player ...and enjoy!
I hope you have found these country kitchen decorating tips useful.
Where to go next
Are you ready to create your own country kitchen now?
Look at some practical aspects to your kitchen design plans.
Get advice on choosing the best fixtures, fittings and colors for your new kitchen.
Look at cheap, quick and easy ideas for updating your kitchen.
Learn how to recreate an idyllic country cottage decorating style in your home.
Take a look at our own country cottage style kitchen makeover (photo above)
Then see what happened when we got our paint pot out again...
Click here to see how we got our pale blue cottage kitchen look... (see photo below...)
Browse some more kitchen decorating styles:
Ultra-modern cutting-edge kitchen
Tuscan style kitchen
Take a look at my own country kitchen decorating project.
Return to the main kitchen decorating tips page.
Return from this country kitchen decorating tips page to the Home Page
Top of Page
Search for words or phrases inside my site: