Great Decorating Ideas
Kitchen Hints and Tips
Great decorating ideas and kitchen hints and tips.
Make your kitchen work for you!
Consider these practical aspects to your kitchen plans.
As well as looking at the overall plan and layout, there are a few other practical aspects to think about when considering your kitchen decorating ideas.
Kitchen planning demands that you think about practicalities and function in your design.
I think you will find these are all really useful considerations:
The Kitchen Sink
Oven and Hob
- If possible, position the oven on an outside wall - ventilation will be easier and more efficient
- Fit a hob hood/extractor fan - it will remove nasty smells - particularly good if you are considering open plan decorating ideas for kitchen diners.
- Position the hob and oven together - and make sure you can put hot pans and dishes on a heat proof surface nearby.
- If possible, try not to place the hob or cooker in a corner, or at the end of a line of units
- Don't position the hob under a window
- - you might get burnt opening the window
- - if you have curtains, they might be a fire risk
- - if you use gas, the draught from an open window could easily extinguish your pilot light
- Make sure your hob and oven are not accessible to small children - hot things can be very dangerous
Fridge and Freezer
- Position the fridge and freezer away from the oven, so that they work more efficiently.
- Keep the fridge and freezer (if separate units) close together for ease of use.
- But, if you don't use your freezer that often, consider housing it in a separate utility room, or garage - to save space.
Washing and Drying
Kitchen Seating and Eating
- A seating area is really nice in a kitchen - it makes it into a real friendly, family area.
- If you have a very large kitchen, consider a sofa, or other comfortable seating.
You can relax after a meal, or you can have company while you cook.
- A dining area in the kitchen will increase its value - so, if you can squeeze one into a corner, definitely try.
- If you don't have the space for a full table and chairs, try a wall-mounted or freestanding folding table and folding chairs.
- Another of the best decorating ideas for kitchens is to try a 'dining nook'.
Build a small table with storage benches into your kitchen design.
- Consider a breakfast bar if space is tight - with tall stools which can store underneath.
Breakfast bars do tend to be more for informal eating and snacks. I find they always have an 'eat-up-and-move-on' feel.
They can look very smart and modern though, and are great decorating ideas for kitchen areas.
Kitchen Storage Ideas
- Adequate storage is vital in your kitchen.
- Make a list of everything you need to find a place for in your kitchen. Try to allocate a space for every item.
If you can also build in extra space for future purchases, that would be fantastic.
- Fit in as much storage space as you can.
Use all the little gaps between cupboards and at the end of units for wine racks, spice racks, or even an integrated ironing board.
- Use the corners created by two unit rows fitted together wisely.
A carousel or pull-out shelf is a good idea, and will store large items well.
- Deep pan drawers are a very useful addition to consider.
- Make sure your largest plate fits into the cupboard you want to put it in.
Make sure tall items, such as bottles or cereal packets, fit where you want them to.
(It's very annoying having to fold down the tops of all your cereal packs before they fit into your cupboard... I know!)
- Open shelving can make your kitchen feel more spacious - as well as putting all your most attractive items on display.
But if you are a bit messy (like me ....sorry!) or would rather visitors didn't get an eyeful of your crockery or your food purchases - stick to enclosed cupboards.
Try frosted glass doors for a lighter and more spacious feel - while keeping your cupboards' interior (reasonably) private.
- Consider using wall mounted storage - usually stainless steel bars, mounted to your tiles.
You can then hang various items off - including:
- serving spoons and ladles
- spice racks
- paper towel
- tin foil holders
You can even add small storage shelves, to hold condiments and other bits and bobs.
- Think about putting your food items (such as pasta, rice or lentils) into large clear storage jars.
These are available quite cheaply, look attractive, and can be left on display on top of your work surface.
I hope you found these decorating ideas for kitchen rooms helpful.
Where to go next
There are a few more vital statistics you should know before you start your kitchen decorating project.
Have you looked at the section on layout and the work triangle yet?
Please check out the section on decor and design in your kitchen for more useful and stylish decorating ideas for kitchens.
Do you want a cheap and easy kitchen makeover? Click here.
Have you chosen a style for your kitchen yet? Try this new look for kitchens, ultra-modern and stylish.
Or try bringing a little bit of the Mediterranean atmosphere into your home - decorate your kitchen Tuscany style.
What about a timeless kitchen, with universal appeal? Consider a country kitchen decorating theme.
Return to the main kitchen decorating tips page.
Subscribe to my free, monthly, interior design e-zine.
Receive more great decorating ideas for kitchens, and interior design hints and tips - straight to your inbox.
Return from this decorating ideas kitchen page to the Home Page
Top of Page
Search for words or phrases inside my site:
Search My Site:
“This practical guide is a must for any DIY decorator!”
"If you have no idea how to decorate your house or apartment or you're just not sure what you should put in which room...
"...Charlotte shows you, in an easy-to-understand way, how to tackle any project."
says David - New Hampshire, USA
"Love, love, love your site! I bought your ebooks and find them helpful and inspiring."
says Linda - United States
"I used Charlotte's book when designing my new kitchen ... I had my new kitchen planned in no time at all.
"I also used the personality colour palette to get the perfect colour ... Brilliant!"
says Sophie - Scotland, UK
CLICK HERE to order the
Interior Design It Yourself Book
AROUND 1 MILLION READERS PER YEAR (2010-2012)
Read what you say about us:
Your website is the best source of information for decorating homes that I have come across.
Sharon - Australia
I just love your web page it is fantastic for people who don't really have the design skills...
Elizabeth - Scotland - UK
'You are the first entry on my favorite places. Beautiful work, well (very well) written.'
Shirley - Laurinburg NC - USA
'U can't believe how happy I'm to find such a helpful website! it's over than great, really!!'
Lama - Sydney
'I really appreciate this amazing website & ur helpful tips... you really give us so much attention & I loved your advice...'
Mostafa - Cairo - Egypt
Thank you so much to all my lovely and loyal readers!
Copyright © 2007-2013 Charlotte Brown
t/a Charlotte Sneddon - interior-design-it-yourself.com