Decorating Bedroom Ideas
Read decorating bedroom ideas to make the most of your guest room.
Let guests feel like they are staying in a hotel - not in your box-room!
Isn’t it embarrassing, when guests come to stay, even for a night, and all you have to offer them is a cramped spot, squeezed in, between all of your clutter?
Creative Ideas for your Spare Room
Wouldn’t you love to be able to treat your guests to a comfortable night of luxury...
...and know that they will go home saying only good things about your home and housekeeping skills...
Here we will look at some interior design ideas for getting a gorgeous guest bedroom...
One that suits the needs of your guests - and your need for an extra room, too...
What do you Want from your Guest Bedroom?
If you have a room dedicated only to guests, you are lucky.
Most of us have to cope with creating a multi-purpose room, that we hope to slot some guests into, without too much embarrassment.
Read these decorating bedroom ideas and tips, on how to do it properly:
Sort Storage and Purpose for your Guest Bedroom
- Your guest room will most likely be home to bed-linen, out-of-season clothes, general clutter, a home office, or craft and hobby space.
- If you haven’t already, take this as a good opportunity for a good clear-out.
Think about the purpose of your room - and what you use it for most often.
It is likely you use your room most often for office work, crafts, or storage - and perhaps only have guests occasionally.
So your decorating bedroom ideas should try to make your every day use easy, but include your secondary purpose, too...
- Good storage is a must - so include plenty.
Cupboards with doors that close, to keep your clutter private, are an excellent idea, and will keep your bedroom calm and pleasant for guests.
- You might be lucky enough to find a suitable sofa bed with built-in storage. Such items of furniture that can serve two purposes are ideal for your guest room...
- Build your own custom storage to suit your individual room’s nooks and crannies. Really make the most of every spare corner.
A Space for Working
- Choose a desk with lots of storage underneath. Or, pick a cabinet that can house your computer, with a pull-out, keyboard table. At night, it can all be shut away neatly.
- If you can’t find a suitable computer cabinet, you can customize your own cupboard, cabinet or wardrobe.
Add some well placed shelves. Drill holes in the back of the cabinet, to keep wires tidy and out of sight.
- If it suits your needs, consider a folding desk and chair - which can be easily folded up, or removed completely, when guests are expected.
This is one of the great decorating bedroom ideas which we have used in our own spare bedroom.
Work space when you need it - but easily removed to give space for the guest bed.
- Or consider a desk that can double up as a guest dressing table.
- Use a wardrobe to store files and paperwork - that way your home office will still appear like a ‘proper’ bedroom. Put extra shelves in your wardrobe, as necessary.
Fill it full of papers and folders, or use half for your out-of-season clothes, or even leave half empty, for your guests' clothes and belongings.
More Super Storage Tips
- Consider a window seat with built in storage, for linen, that will also prove a pleasant and relaxing place to sit for a guest, or for yourself, during breaks from work.
- Choose storage cubes, which also combine storage and attractive seating, in a practical way.
I like the storage cubes where the padded lid/seat turns over, to form a flat table/tray.
We have one of these in our lounge, but I think that one of the best decorating bedroom ideas for your spare room, would be to use one of these as a bedside table, for your guest.
- Use the reverse of mirrors or pictures as a memo board, when using the space as a home-office.
When it becomes a guest bedroom, turn the memo board to face the wall, and all your guest will see are the attractive pictures, or a thoughtfully placed mirror.
Where will your guest sleep?
Color & Decorating Bedroom Ideas
- Create an accent wall, with a dramatic paint color, or striking wallpaper, behind the bed.
This will bring the focus of the room back towards the ideal focal point of the bed (rather than your desk, or shelves of clutter).
It will look like you have lavished some care and attention on your guest room, making it a pleasant place to stay.
- A pale or cool color will make your guest room feel more spacious.
Blue and green are good decorating bedroom idea colors for a relaxing mood.
Yellow is a good color for a workspace, home-office or study.
It is also very cheerful and welcoming for guests who are away from their own home.
But, a bright yellow will not be so relaxing for your guests, and may not induce sleep easily (so, keep yellows pale).
However, if your spare room is used daily, as a home office or craft area, and only occasionally as a guest bedroom, it would be sensible to decorate it with its daily use in mind.
Use these decorating bedroom ideas, to quickly and easily transform your practical spare room into a welcoming guest room.
Thoughtful Finishing Touches
Don’t forget these few thoughtful final touches:
- Make sure that there are small table lamps, either side of the bed, for guests’ comfort and safety.
- Make sure that you leave a little space for guests’ personal items - leave a small area free in the wardrobe, or clear the desk to create a dressing-table-like surface.
- Pile on plenty of pillows, so that guests can have a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Leave some extra throws or blankets folded at the foot of the bed - in case your guests feel cold in the night.
- Provide a set of soft, freshly-laundered towels for your guests’ use.
Even provide some pretty scented soaps, which will also help your room smell beautifully fragranced.
- Include a couple of good books, or magazines, by the bedside for night-time reading.
- Provide smart, glass tumblers so guests can help themselves to a glass of water during the night.
Even consider providing a small kettle, cups and tea or coffee. Your guests will enjoy being able to have a quiet cup of tea, if they wake early in the morning, without disturbing the whole household.
- Put a vase of fresh flowers in your guest room, for a really welcoming touch.
Start your Project
With these great decorating bedroom ideas, your guests are sure to feel welcomed and cared for.
So relax, and enjoy your time spent with your friends and family.
Take a look at some practical decorating bedroom ideas, to start your project right now.
Read about bedroom decorating styles and designs.
Real Readers' Guest Bedrooms
Let other readers of this website inspire your own spare bedroom project with their interesting decorating bedroom ideas...
Val's guest bedroom needs a finishing touch...
Jane wants to liven up her guest bedroom
A guest bedroom that will also convert to a baby room
A spare bedroom with an antique style
Using a guest bedroom as a playroom
Lennie has big plans for a office - meditation - yoga room in the spare room
Elizabeth is stuck for color inspiration in her north-facing spare bedroom...
...and continues her design by thinking about wallpaper and lighting here...
A Victorian style study is created in a walk-through spare bedroom
My own pink and white guest bedroom makeover
Ask your own guest bedroom questions
If you're still stuck with your bedroom decorating ideas, ask a question, here...
Have you looked at the Bedroom Gallery pages?
Check out the bedroom photo inspiration here...
Return to the main bedroom interior designs page.
Have you got your free subscription to my interior design e-zine?
Receive my free, monthly, e-mail newsletter, for more interior design ideas and updates, straight to your inbox.
Return from this decorating bedroom ideas for the guest room page to the Home Page
Top of Page
Search for words or phrases inside my site: