How to Wallpaper
How to Wallpaper...
Wallpaper can be expensive, so don't waste your time and money by messing up hanging wallpaper.
- How to hang wallpaper, and make a professional-looking job of it...
- What style of wallpaper to choose...
- Where to put it...
After years of smooth, painted walls being the height of fashion, it is becoming more and more in vogue to decorate your home with wallpaper.
As well as being bang on trend right now, wallpaper does have quite a few advantages over plain, painted walls…
Why Choose Wallpaper?
- Wallpaper allows you to bring more pattern and interest into your home.
- Wallpaper lets you show off your tastes and personality more easily
- There is a wide choice of wallpapers available, to suit every style
- Wallpaper can make a room feel cozier and more homely
- Wallpaper can often disguise imperfections and uneven surfaces on your walls
Of course, wallpaper is not as simple as painting … but the benefits can outweigh the little extra effort you put in.
If you are new to wallpapering, don’t worry, it can be done by a beginner, with just a few easy pointers on how to hang wallpaper…
How to Use Wallpaper
Wallpapering is a great way of introducing just that little extra interest into your home...
Most homes and rooms won't want or need to decorate a whole room in wallpaper (although you can, actually, get some very striking results like this!)
- Too much pattern, can make a room look and feel 'busy' or crowded and small - which is why it is a good idea to just choose wallpaper for a feature wall...
- Wallpapering just the one wall, to make a feature out of it, allows you to use pattern and color to express your taste, personality and style - but without going overboard!
- Having a feature wall also brings some focus to your room - and will give you, and any visitors, something beautiful to focus on when you are in there.
- Using wallpaper in this way allows you to bring in much stronger and brighter colors than you would otherwise - very useful for bringing together touches of accent colors that you've used throughout your scheme.
- You can also use big and bold patterns, if this is what you like, to really make a statement, and to bring some interest and vitality into your room.
- I love clean, plain, minimal walls - but they can start to look stark, cold and sterile - so using wallpaper can help address this - and the pattern can help give a bit of extra depth to your walls...
- This is the same as using a texture in your decorating - and can really help to give you a much more 'finished' and 'together' style.
If you wish to add texture to your room with wallpaper, look for a design in a limited color palette - colors very close together, or light and dark shades of the same color...
The pattern or design now becomes more important.
You can also look for wallpaper that makes a feature out of the contrast between matt and gloss parts of a design (as the picture below) to add a sense of texture.
Practical Ways to Use Wallpaper
Of course, wallpaper has purely practical uses too - and can be used simply to cover or distract from bumpy walls...
Or you might just want to use wallpaper lining paper to give a good surface to paint on...
Whichever way you want to use wallpaper, we've got loads of tips and ideas for how to wallpaper, which wallpaper to use, and practical DIY hints to help you along...
Take a look at our 'How to Wallpaper' pages now...
Finding out how to hang wallpaper will make the job that much simpler, and will give you much better results…
Tips for Decorating with Wallpaper
Find out some easy tips here…
- Choose your Wallpaper
Learn about the different types of wallpaper to choose from, with this wallpaper primer.
- Measuring and Calculating
Find out how to get the measurements, wallpaper sizing and calculations right.
- Removing Wallpaper
Discover how to remove wallpaper the easy way.
- Basic Instructions and Techniques How to Wallpaper
Find out how to hang wallpaper, here...
- Problem Areas
Find out how to hang wallpaper in problem areas
- Special Techniques
Find out about special techniques for hanging wallpapers of different kinds
More about do it yourself home improvements - and/or calling in the professionals
Readers' Wallpaper Q&A
A reader asks about a wallpaper tear and hang technique
Sam asks about how to wallpaper over vinyl
Elizabeth tries to decide on a wallpaper for her spare bedroom
Wallpaper with a touch of red for a reader
Have you got your free subscription to my interior design e-zine?
Get your free, monthly e-mail newsletter, full of interior design tips and ideas, straight to your inbox.
Return from this main How to Wallpaper page to the Home Page.
Top of Page
Search for words or phrases inside my site: