Practical Kids' Bedroom Decorating Ideas
Great kids' bedroom decorating ideas.
Read information and tips, and learn how to create a fun and practical room for your child.
Here are my best hints and tips for decorating kids bedrooms...
We'll help you with practical details and stylish hints to make your kids bedroom makeover project a success...
You can have lots of fun planning and decorating your child’s bedroom.
Get the Kids Involved
- Try and involve your child in the plans and in the work.
Whatever their age, they will have their own preferences for color and theme.
These should be taken into account, if your child is to have a bedroom they are happy to relax and spend time in.
- Even if your child is too young to help with the actual decorating, he or she will enjoy feeling a
part of the process.
You child can help by:
- helping to pick a color
- helping to clear, sort and prepare the room
- bringing his or her belongings back in
- and deciding which things should be displayed in pride of place
You can also get him or her involved in fun craft projects for their new room.
Start with the Practicalities
Before deciding on any kids' bedroom decorating ideas, colors or styles, make sure you have all the practicalities sorted first.
- Especially for young children, safety must come first.
- Make sure all the furniture which you choose for your child’s bedroom conforms to current national safety standards, is sturdy and well put together, and has no toxic, or lead paint, finishes.
- For young children, you should make sure that a bed, chair or dresser does not provide a stepping-stone to the window.
Fit window locks, or safety catches, to the window, to be sure.
- Do not fit shelves directly over the bed.
- Keep electrical items out of reach of young children, and fit safety covers to electrical sockets.
- Keep sharp objects and corners out of your child’s room.
Avoid glass furniture, and keep mirrors and glass picture frames high up and out of reach, where they are unlikely to get smashed, in the course of a boisterous game.
Safety at Night
- Make sure that you arrange the room, so that your child has an easy path between the bed and the door, at night - with no risk of tripping or falling.
If possible, try to have your child’s room close to your room, and not too close to the top of the stairs.
You might want to leave the landing light on, or fit a night-light on the landing, or even in your child’s room.
Click here to read more home lighting ideas for bedrooms.
- Storage is an important factor when considering your kids bedroom decorating ideas.
Depending on your child’s age, they might have loads of toys, DVD’s, books or computer games.
Try to include loads of storage into your room design.
- Use underbed storage, or the top of the wardrobe, for items which aren’t needed so often.
- A window seat can give you a lovely storage area, as well as a nice place to sit.
Where to Put Things
- Try and stick to lots of low-level storage, and open storage, such as storage baskets, in the hope that your child will be able to tidy up after him/herself... it makes it easier for you too..!
- Don’t stack any storage too high - it will be harder to use, and could topple and fall.
- Also try inexpensive canvas storage units. Stick a photo on each container or drawer, to remind your child what should go inside.
- Use higher shelves for items that aren’t needed so often, or that just want to be displayed in pride of place.
- Hanging fabric door-tidies are very useful too - for quickly clearing toys and clutter, or holding a few more nick-nacks.
- Include some low-level pegs, or coat hooks, for young children to hang clothes, hats and coats.
- Choose closets and cupboards that are easy to use - and without heavy doors, or strong catches.
Spaces for Sleeping
- Consider bunk beds to save space, if children share a room.
Or go for a high-level, loft bed, which incorporates extra seating, wardrobe and storage space, or a desk, underneath.
It really is a very efficient use of space - and perfect for older children with homework.
Space for Playtime
- Your child will want lots of floor space for playing, so arrange the room with this in mind.
One of the best kids' bedroom decorating ideas, is to centre the play-space around a washable rug, in a dark pattern.
Hopefully, this will save your carpet, or floor, underneath, from messy accidents.
Always put non-skid pads under rugs, for safety.
Once you have sorted the practicalities, you can now get creative, and look at kids' bedroom decorating ideas for styles, colors and themes.
Color, Style and Design Help for Kids', Teens' and Baby Rooms
Look for photos, video clips and inspiration for decorating kids' bedrooms here.
Get ideas and practical advice for decorating a baby room.
Are you looking for a young girl bedroom decorating idea? Get advice and inspiration for decorating girls' bedrooms.
Read helpful hints and tips for decorating a teen bedroom for a girl.
Or read children's bedroom decorating ideas for boys, instead.
Or, how about hints and tips for a teen bedroom decorating idea for a boy?
Practical interior design for kids and pets in the rest of the home
Real Readers' Kids' Bedroom Decorating Ideas
Reader Judy asks about what to put on the wall in a boy's bedroom
Ask your own kids' bedroom questions here...
Kids bedroom gallery pages
Teen decorating gallery - #1
Teen decorating gallery - #2
Return to the main bedroom interior designs page.
Have you got your free subscription to my interior design e-zine?
Receive my free, monthly, e-mail newsletter, for more hints, tips and interior design ideas, straight to your inbox.
Return from this practical kids bedroom decorating ideas page to the Home Page
Top of Page
Search for words or phrases inside my site:
Search My Site:
“This practical guide is a must for any DIY decorator!”
"If you have no idea how to decorate your house or apartment or you're just not sure what you should put in which room...
"...Charlotte shows you, in an easy-to-understand way, how to tackle any project."
says David - New Hampshire, USA
"Love, love, love your site! I bought your ebooks and find them helpful and inspiring."
says Linda - United States
"I used Charlotte's book when designing my new kitchen ... I had my new kitchen planned in no time at all.
"I also used the personality colour palette to get the perfect colour ... Brilliant!"
says Sophie - Scotland, UK
CLICK HERE to order the
Interior Design It Yourself Book
AROUND 1 MILLION READERS PER YEAR (2010-2012)
Read what you say about us:
Your website is the best source of information for decorating homes that I have come across.
Sharon - Australia
I just love your web page it is fantastic for people who don't really have the design skills...
Elizabeth - Scotland - UK
'You are the first entry on my favorite places. Beautiful work, well (very well) written.'
Shirley - Laurinburg NC - USA
'U can't believe how happy I'm to find such a helpful website! it's over than great, really!!'
Lama - Sydney
'I really appreciate this amazing website & ur helpful tips... you really give us so much attention & I loved your advice...'
Mostafa - Cairo - Egypt
Thank you so much to all my lovely and loyal readers!
Copyright © 2007-2013 Charlotte Brown
t/a Charlotte Sneddon - interior-design-it-yourself.com